My grandmother used to make this all the time. Fried anchovies is the perfect snack during the summer, and it goes really well with a glass of beer (for those who drink that). I prefer those over potatoes chips actually.
Fried Anchovies Snack RecipeCourse: FIsh, International Cuisine, Recipes, Side dish, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
1 kg anchovies
salt and pepper
10-15 tablespoons of cornmeal flour (polenta)
oil for frying
- Wash the anchovies, chop their head and clean them out of the intestines. Now, the fish is so small that this step is actually optional. My grandmother never used to do that. We will be eating the anchovies as they were, and leave the head aside. I remember my grandfather even eating the heads. Personally, I clean them and take their heads, for two reasons: 1. my kids will not even consider looking at them if they see the heads, let alone taste it. and 2. I also don’t like to see it like that (it is just visual impact).
- Add the cornmeal flour (the one you use for polenta), salt and pepper and mix them together on a plate.
- Use a tall and smaller in diameter pot, and heat up the oil.
- Take the anchovies one by one through the polenta mixture and deep fry them for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Take them out on a separate plate, where you have a paper kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil for 2 minutes. Then replace them in a bowl.
- Add more polenta flour if needed to the plate.
- Dry the anchovies with a kitchen towel (I like to use a paper one) before putting them in the polenta mixture.
Enjoy the snack. As previously mentioned, they are perfect for an evening snack, or as a finger food. I use to make them whenever my friends come to visit me. Enjoy 🙂