I am just crazy about tomatoes. I have no idea how it started, but my uncle was just like me. So, it runs in the family, I guess.Cut them in halves, sprinkle some salt, and voila! Whenever I see some quality tomatoes at the grocery store, I have to buy them, regardless of how many we have at home. Just can’t stop it. That’s why we have to make tomato soup frequently. Otherwise, there is no way to consume this many with salads.
Sometimes I see a different kind that I do not know of (rarely happens), and believe me, no other veggies can make me this happy. I even make my own ketchup and tomato paste.
Anyway, today I am going to give you a quick recipe that I use every time I grill meat on the barbecue. It is my favorite side dish as you can guess, and it is called vinaigrette tomatoes. Basically, they are vinegar and olive oiled added marvelous tomatoes grilled to release delicious juices on your plate. In other words, I love them so much!
Grilled Vinaigrette TomatoesCourse: SidesCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Easy
2 pounds of your favorite tomatoes (the bigger the better)
1/4 glass virgin olive oil
1/4 glass vinegar (all types are fine – pick your favorite)
2 tablespoon sugar
Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Put the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and spices into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves.
- Take them out onto a large serving plate.
- Brush the mixture onto tomatoes.
- Put the backside (skin side) down and grill for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle thyme powder on top once you remove them from the grill.You can also opt for chopped fresh basil instead of thyme. Sometimes, I also sprinkle powdered cumin.
- Be careful since the tomatoes can be extremely hot right out of the grill.
- No worries if you don’t have access to a barbecue. You can also broil your tomatoes. It is easier than you think. Try your oven, for that matter. You can achieve the same caramelization effect. The only difference would be the odor that wood or charcoal adds.
How long should tomatoes be cooked?
It is best if you grill tomatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes. If you keep them on the grill too long, then you might lose some of the juice inside. Also, keep in mind that the cooking time might get longer if the tomatoes are too big. Make sure the tomatoes are firm when selecting for grilling.
How do you know when tomatoes are done cooking?
It is easy to figure out if the tomatoes are done cooking. You don’t even have to touch them. See if they are bubbling and caramelized on the outside. That means they even got yummier and are ready to consume.
Why are roasted tomatoes good for you?
Tomatoes get their color from a substance called lycopene, which helps to protect our cells from damage. It is a cancer fighting antioxidant. Additionally, tomatoes also contain vitamins E and B. The interesting part is that tomatoes release more lycopene when they are cooked.