I just can’t say no to zucchini patties. They are crispy on the outside, tender in the middle, filled with parsley, dill, and chives. A perfect recipe to make anyone starve instantly, this appetizer is a happy meal for me. We call it mucver at our place, and the recipe goes back hundreds of years.
Quick, simple, and tasty; three magic words that you should expect from every delicious dish. All it takes is to grate the zucchinis, chop the onions, add some spices and you are ready to fly out to wonderland.
Zucchini patties are similar to hash browns. Both are fried veggie patties. However, the addition of dill and parsley takes this recipe to a completely new level. Note that zucchinis contain much fewer calories in comparison to potatoes. Plus, they are full of minerals and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and C. So, whenever you can replace potatoes with zucchinis, just go for it.
Keep in mind that you can either fry the zucchini patties or bake them in the oven. It is all up to you. And yes, the baked version is healthier due to less oil content, but the fried version is the real deal.
Zucchini Patties – Dreamy Fritters MucverCourse: Appetizer, MezzeCuisine: Turkish, MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
3 medium size zucchinis, grated
2/3 cups wheat flour (add more if necessary)
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (for frying)
- Wash and drain the zucchinis.
- Use a quality peeler and peel off the skins.
- Next, grate the zucchinis. Squeeze out any excess water that gets accumulated at the bottom.
- Combine the grated zucchinis, chopped parsley, dill, and chives in a medium-sized bowl. Stir for a few seconds to blend well. Set it aside for now.
- Break the eggs into another large-size bowl.
- Add in salt, ground pepper, baking powder, and whisk.
- Add the wheat flour and continue to whisk.
- Add the grated zucchini combination to the flour mixture and blend well with a spatula until all incorporate thoroughly.
- Add more flour if necessary. The mixture should resemble a very thick cake flour.
- Place a medium-size skillet over medium heat.
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil on the skillet.
- Add one tablespoon of mixture to the pan when the oil gets heated and fry both sides for a few minutes (until golden brown). Use a spatula to flip over the patties.
- Place the fried patties onto a paper towel coated plate to drain excess oil. Alternatively, you can use a cookie sheet too.
- You can use an ice cream scoop to put the patties on the skillet.
- If you prefer to bake the zucchini patties, preheat the oven to (200 °C /390 °F) and lightly grease the parchment paper.
- You can add chopped dill (2 tablespoons) and crushed garlic (1 clove) to the above recipe if you want to spice things up. Serve with Greek yogurt.
Why is zucchini a Superfood?
Zucchinis have no fat. They are loaded with many minerals and vitamins. They can help to balance cholesterol levels, improve heart health, and reduce inflammation. Note that zucchinis also contain fiber.