Pumpkin is such a versatile and indispensable item that every cook must learn how to deal with it. You can create so many different plates. There are literally hundreds of different ways when it gets to make palatable dishes with pumpkin. Soups, pies, sauces, and pancakes are just to name a few. And do not forget about the toasted pumpkin seeds, either. They make for a great snack! Carving the pumpkins for Halloween is fun, but eating them all year round is amusing too.
The word pumpkin is derived from Greek ‘pepon’, which means large melon. However, this fancy squash was originated in Central America. Each Halloween, New Yorkers showcase the biggest pumpkins in the world. However, it might difficult to prepare any meal with them as they are a bit oversized! The biggest one weighed over a ton in 2017.
Pumpkin is naturally sweet. Maybe, that is why most people use them in various dessert recipes. On a side note, the pumpkins are very healthy; contains only 25 calories per 100 grams. Most weight-loss diets use pumpkins in one way or another. Plus, it is full of fibers and contains high amounts of water.
Here is another traditional Turkish sweet made from pumpkin. We call it ‘Kabak Tatlısı’. This recipe is highly popular in winter time that most restaurants serve it. Did you know that over 50 million pumpkin pies are consumed each year?1 Check out Clara’s smooth pumpkin pie recipe for the best version! It is super delicious.
What you will need:
The good news is that no special tools are necessary for making this sweet. All you need is a regular saucepan, some sugar, and sliced pumpkins. You can take out the green parts (peel) with a fruit peeler.
Traditional Pumpkin Dessert Recipe – KABAK TATLISI
Our goal is to soften the pumpkins, but without making them mushy. That is why we need to cook them over low heat for about three hours. First, we add sugar and bring it to a boil. Then we turn down the heat and remove the lid. It is not difficult if you follow the steps.
Traditional Pumpkin Dessert with Pecans and SyrupCourse: UncategorizedCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Easy
4 pounds of peeled raw pumpkin, sliced
3 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
- Slice the peeled pumpkins into 3-inches (7.5 cm) pieces.
- Place them into a large saucepan. The pumpkin slices should not sit on top of each other. That is why we lay them separately in a saucepan.
- Pour three cups of sugar on top of sliced pumpkins.
- Add one cup of water.
- Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Continue to cook at low heat for about three hours.
- Take off the lid after two hours.
- Monitor occasionally to prevent any spilling over.
- Sprinkle crushed pecans on top when serving.
- Keep in refrigerator and serve cold for the ultimate experience.
- It is best if you cook pumpkin in its own juice. To do so; you need place the pumpkin slices into the saucepan the night before. Next, add sugar on them. You will notice that the saucepan is filled with original pumpkin juice the next day. And, there is no need to add additional water to the pan!
- You can also cook this pumpkin dessert in the oven. Place the pumpkin slices on a deep nonstick tray. Bake at 400 °F (200 °C) for about 45 minutes. Check the softness of the pumpkins with a fork.
- It is easy to calculate the sugar level for this recipe. As a general rule, the sugar level must be roughly half the weight of the pumpkins. For example, add 500 g sugar for 1 kg of pumpkins.
Can you freeze fresh pumpkin?
You can freeze raw pumpkin in freezer bags for up to six months. This way you can enjoy pumpkin pie all year around. Make sure you peel and slice the pumpkin first before placing in freezer bag or container.
Why was pumpkin pie invented?
Native American tribes used pumpkins for making various meals. When settlers arrived to North America, they gave them pumpkins as a souvenir. This was the start of the first pumpkin pie. Natives taught the settlers how to cook them. As time passed, serving pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving Day became a popular tradition.
Can you eat pumpkin seeds?
Roasted pumpkin seeds are highly popular in certain parts of the world. In fact, they are considered to be a leading snack in many countries. Pumpkin seeds are also a favorite addition to green salads.