Making candied lemon slices is easy. If you have an abundance of lemons, you can prepare these tasty candies to use in various desserts. Plus, you can dip them in chocolate sauce and consume them as a delicious snack with your coffee. Either way, they are delightful!
Store-bought fruit candies can be too waxy or sugary. If you prepare them yourself, you can control and adjust the overall sugar level. In addition, you can use organic lemons. All you need is to make some simple syrup (equal parts water and white sugar). Cook the lemon slices in the syrup, and then dry them.
The drying part is the least effortless part, but it sure is boring. If you choose to air-dry, you need to leave it in the open air for about 24 hours. I am not that patient. So, I dry them in the oven at the lowest setting which is usually 200 °F (90 °C) in most ovens. It still takes about 2-3 hours.
Keep in mind that you can also apply this technique to other citrus fruits such as orange and grapefruit. They also make the perfect garnish for decorating many other cakes and desserts.
Candied Lemon Slices Recipe
As you will also notice, the hardest part of making candied fruits is the waiting part. You need to be patient. Other than that, the steps and the ingredients are basic.
How to Make Candied Lemon Slices?Course: DessertCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
4 medium lemons
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon baking soda
- Put the lemons into a bowl.
- Add water.
- Add baking soda and let it dissolve.
- Wash the lemons with this water.
- Rinse each lemon under running cool water.
- Dry them with a paper towel.
- Use your chef-knife, or the sharpest knife in the kitchen to make full round slices from the lemons. Alternatively, you can use a mandolin slicer for this purpose, which is a better solution.
- Add 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar into a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Make sure the sugar dissolves in water.
- Add the lemon slices to the syrup filled skillet.
- Cook over low heat until the lemon slices become translucent. Be careful not to burn the lemon slices.
- Place a baking sheet on the oven tray.
- Transfer the lemon slices onto the tray.
- Bake at 200 °F (90 °C) for 2-3 hours.
- Try to cut equal slices out of the lemons. If you make them too thick, it will take longer to cook and dry them. If you make them too thin, they may get damaged easily while transferring to the baking tray.
- Keep the leftover lemon syrup. You can use it in various desserts.
Does vitamin C make your immune system better?
Vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, is vital if you want to keep your immune system healthy. Lack of vitamin C can make you vulnerable to various diseases. It can also help to prevent cell damage. Plus, we absorb iron from plant foods with the help of vitamin C. It is a great defender against flu.