Making apple pie dough in the bread maker is quite easy. There is no fermentation involved with this recipe. Hence, you can get busy with the apples while the bread maker machine can take care of the dough for you. Save time and energy in the kitchen with smart tools whenever you get the chance.
I prepared this pie with organic apples from the backyard and used only whole food ingredients. Apple pie is one of the most popular desserts in the world. Some kind of magic happens when cinnamon, vanilla, flour, butter, and apples come together! I think it is ok to have many different versions of this formula when you consider the first apple pie recipe was printed about 600 years ago in England (in 1381 by Geoffrey Chaucer). But those older versions did not have any sugar in them! Since the sugar was too expensive, most people used figs as a sweetener.
Regardless of the variety, you can use your own pie recipe in the bread maker machine. I am just trying to give you different perspective with my version. For example, I like a thinner layer of apple sauce in the middle. However, you can increase this amount easily. Moreover, I tend to make the crust a bit softer by increasing the butter level than usual. Feel free to experiment, though. The bread maker machines can pretty much handle most types of dough with ease nowadays.
Apple pie recipe in the bread maker
Again, I am using the bread maker machine for preparing the pie dough. Notice that the dough cycle program consists of various fermentation phases. However, this dough is leavened with baking soda. There is no need to wait for the whole cycle to complete the fermentation process. I turn it off after the dough is ready (just before the first rise). To make it clearer; just turn off the bread maker machine and pick up the dough when the first rise phase starts.
Don’t forget to check out our other bread machine yummies too! If you have not got yourself a bread machine yet, take a look at this best seller bread maker from KBS. It gets 5-star ratings all the time for good reason. This gadget beats the competition with extra functions. You can even make jam and yogurt all effortlessly. It comes with an automatic fruit/nut dispenser. The lower noise motor is exceptional as some bread maker machines can be noisy. All materials are 100% food grade.
How to Make Apple Pie in the Bread Maker MachineCourse: Baking, Desserts, RecipesCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
- Dough recipe
3 ½ cup all-purpose flour (substitute 1 cup of all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour to make it healthier)
125 g butter, softened in room temperature
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 medium size egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- Apple filling recipe
5 large size red apples (feel free to use your favorite apples)
5 tablespoons white sugar (add more sugar if you are using green apples)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed pecans
- Filling instructions
- Wash, peel, and grate the apples.
- Place the grated apples into a large skillet.
- Add sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook over low heat and stir occasionally.
- The apples are done when they get dark brown. You will notice that all the excess water in the skillet will evaporate.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Let the apple filling cool down.
- Dough instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Add coconut oil and butter into the bread maker pan.
- Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract in the pan.
- Add the flour on top.
- Add the baking soda as well.
- Press the dough cycle program on the bread maker machine.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- Brush the pie pan or the glass baking tray with coconut oil.
- Set aside one piece of the dough, and place the rest on the oiled pan.
- Spread the apple filling on the dough.
- Sprinkle the crushed pecans on top.
- At this step, you can sprinkle additional cinnamon if you prefer.
- Take the dough that we set aside earlier, and divide it into small bits.
- Place the dough bits on the pecans.
- Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on top.
- If you have the time, let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour before placing in the pie pan. This technique will make the pie even more delicious.
- Try to select sweet red or yellow apples. The filling is the most critical part of the pie and it should not be sour.
- Do not use raw apples inside the pie as they will release their juices and cause the pie to collapse down.
- Keep in mind that you can store the pie dough in an airtight container for up to 2 months in the freezer. Bring it down to room temperature before re-using it again.
- Add two tablespoons of apple juice to dough to increase the aroma.
Is apple pie British or American?
The apple pie was created by the British. It was the British colonists who introduced apple pie to United States. The reason why some people think of it as an American invention is simply due to the fact that it was associated with US starting from the early 1800s. Even the soldiers who enlisted in World War II had a slogan reply as ‘’for mom and apple pie’’ when asked by journalists about why they joined the army.