Sometimes, it gets to a point that you don’t want to order food even if it is free. And you are just too tired and way too hungry to prepare a 2-hour meal. All you need is a quick bite before you hit the sofa. I feel you.
So, this smallish, quick recipe goes to all those exhausted, hungry people. (I am assuming you are also fed up with all the junk food out there!)
It all takes a few slices of bread, your favorite sliced cheese (cheddar), butter, and fresh basil. If that sounds too complicated, leave out the basil and tomato.
The good news is that you can be really creative with this recipe.
To give you an idea: how about spreading spicy tomato paste under the cheese? You can add one tablespoon tomato paste into 1/4 cup of water and stir well. Throw in any spice you like, including dry oregano, mint, basil, and more. To me, it tastes even better than frozen pizza. Don’t forget to grate some Parmesan cheese once you take them out from the oven.
Grilled Cheddar Melt Toast – Quick MealCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
3-4 slices of cheddar cheese
3-4 slices of jack cheese (or your favorite)
1 bunch of fresh basil
1 small tomato – sliced
1-2 tablespoon butter
A few slices of your favorite bread (try sourdough if you ask me)
- Start by washing the fresh basil, and then set it aside to drain.
- Preheat your oven for broiling or use a real broiler.
- Spread butter on the bread slices. Make sure you cover them well.
- Place the butter coated bread slices on baking sheet covered tray.
- Place the jack cheese slices on bread.
- And then place the cheddar slices on top.
- Add tomato slices on top (optional).
- Broil the them in your oven for a few minutes or until the cheddar cheese melts down.
- Take them out from the oven and put some fresh basil on top.
- Who does not love grilled cheese? Trust me, it will never let you down. Even better, try it with your favorite chips, they make the perfect side dish. And remember, I never said this would be a guilt-free snack.
Why is my grilled cheese not toasting?
The trick is to pay attention when coating the bread with butter. You need to cover all the surface so that the bread can get crispy while grilling in the oven. If you don’t use enough butter, it would probably come out dry. You can also melt the butter if you prefer to brush it on the slice instead of coating with a knife. Either way would produce tasty, crispy toast.
What is the best cheese for melting?
Fresh cheese produces better results when melted in comparison to the aged version. You don’t want to select soft cheese either. Almost every pre sliced cheese would be a good choice. We all know that cheddar is highly popular. My favorite is to combine muenster cheese with cheddar. You can also try Swiss, Jack, Provolone, or any other deli cheese you like.