If cakes and whipped cream are your thing, then you will love this recipe. It is the easiest and the most delicious recipe I know for one of my favorite cakes, which is the Savarin cake. I like to bake small, or what my kids used to call them “mini cakes” Savarins, as they are easier to eat, and there a bigger opportunity to have extra whipped cream on top.
Easy Savarin Cake Recipe without YeastCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
3 medium sized eggs
3 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon of flour
- For the water syrup
200 g of boiling water
100 g of sugar
pinch of rum essence
- For the topping
whipped cream 250 ml + 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
2-3 spoons of strawberry or raspberry jam
- Separate the whites and the egg yolks in 2 bowls.
- Beat the whites until they became harden with a hand mixer,. ( If you flip the bowl upside down the whites should not fall off)
- Add the egg yolks one by one, mixing gently (this time do not use a hand mixer, but a kitchen spatula).
- Gently integrate the breadcrumbs and the flour into the egg mixture.
- I use small cupcakes forms for baking. Oil them properly, before pouring the batter inside. If you want, you can use butter instead.
- Bake the mini cakes/cupcakes for 15 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (356F). Set them aside and let them cool down a bit.
- Water syrup
- In a pan, bring the water to the boiling point. Add the sugar and the rum essence. If you are not a big fan of rum, then you can use vanilla essence instead. Or just skip it.
- When the cupcakes are cooled down, get them out of the cupcake form, and turn them upside down.
- Cut a small part of the bottom of the mini cakes.
- Insert the cupcakes in the water syrup. Let them drown there for 10 seconds, and after taking them out, put them on a plate. You will want to make sure that the cakes have absorbed enough syrup. This is the main secret for those cakes to be extra mega delicious. Put the soaked cakes in the fridge to cool even further down.
- Whipped cream
- Beat the cream with the powdered sugar until you get a nice and yummy whipped cream.
- When the soacked cupcakes are cold, you can add the whipped cream inside, like you see in the picture.
- Then on the side of the top of the cake, add a little bit of strawberry jam. Or raspberry jam, or any other jam you might like. The strawberry one is the favorite in this house.
- Those Savarin mini cakes are the best to be eaten the day after, as they need to be completely cooled down. I don’t manage to do that though, as I cannot wait that long to eat them. But they should spend at least 1 hour in the fridge before they are ready to be devoured.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely soaked in the water rum syrup.
- For the best taste, make the whipped cream on your own, don’t buy the one on tube.
- For the best experience, leave the cakes in the fridge over night.