I love to use my bread maker machine to prepare my own soft buns at home. It is the best way to control what goes into my food. You can work miracles with simple ingredients. I have to admit that it took some time for me to get accustomed to making dough with a bread maker machine. Furthermore, I had to adapt the liquid levels of my formulas and change some of the ingredient types. The good news is that the bread machines are super smart these days. They can knead the dough as a professional baker.
Dinner rolls are my favorite, especially when they are served hot from oven to the table. Thanks to the programming option on the Hamilton Beach bread maker, anyone can serve hot buns at dinner nowadays. You can add the ingredients before you leave in the morning. The buns will be ready waiting for you when you come back from work.
Does a bread maker cook the bread?
Bread maker machines mix, knead, ferment, and cook the bread. Almost all models work the same way. There are organized sequences planned according to standard recipes. However, you can also use your bread maker as a handy dough kneader. I prepare pizza dough and then bake it in the oven. This is also true for cookie doughs. Bread maker machines are versatile and useful for creative cooks. And the best part is that it is fairly easy to use one.
Bun Bun Rolls – Quick Homemade Soft Buns
This is a quick recipe that I borrowed from my earliest bakery formulas and only modified to work with the bread machine. I love to add poppy seeds and other nutritious ingredients like sesame and chia seeds. It turned into a habit of mine to improve the nutrition whenever I can. However, that is totally optional. You can omit them if you prefer. Always be careful when using chia seeds as they can absorb a lot of water and may cause choking for some people. Do not consume them directly. Make sure you soak them in water first.
Note that we will only use the bread maker for kneading the dough for this recipe. This is simply because that the bread machines cannot divide the dough into roll form (at least not yet). We will take out the dough and shape it on the counter before we bake the buns in the oven.
Bun Bun Rolls – Quick Homemade Soft BunsCourse: Baking with Children, Recipes, Uncategorized
1 cup water
1/4 cup nonfat milk
3 cups all-purpose wheat flour
1 package instant dry yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (not roasted)
- Add the liquids at the bottom of the bread pan (water, nonfat milk, and honey).
- Add the yeast into pan.
- Add the butter.
- Next add the all-purpose wheat flour.
- Add the salt on top.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Select the dough cycle (Program 8 on Hamilton Beach bread maker).
- Monitor the dough and add more flour if it is necessary.
- Take out the dough onto floured countertop.
- Let it rise for 10-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 parts and form balls.
- Place baking paper on the oven tray.
- Place the dough balls on the tray and let them rest for 20-30 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Bake the buns for 12 to 15 minutes or until their crust become golden.
- If you want to make your buns even softer, you can brush them with melted butter once they come out of the oven.
- If you apply milk wash before placing the buns in the oven, they will come out even darker.