Protect yourself from the cold with this anti-flu lemon cake. It is time to boost vitamin C in your body. I guess we all need to put on our shields against any kind of virus these days. And, here is a yummy recipe for you to enjoy delicious bites while adding up on your citrus levels! No need to worry if you feel a little tired and wobbly. A slice of moist lemon cake and a cup of matcha tea will get you back on track fast.
Vitamin C Boost
There are a few steps to implement in order to improve the nutrition level of this delicious cake. The following methods assist in increasing vitamin C. Additionally, we use root-vegetable powders to enhance our immune system.
The first one is to add turmeric powder. We owe this to the curcumin inside the turmeric. It helps us to improve blood flow by reducing inflammation in our bodies. And as a side effect, the improved blood flow creates a better environment for our heart. Note that some studies suggest that turmeric can be as effective as ibuprofen when it comes to fighting inflammation.
The second step is to add ginger powder. Turmeric and ginger belong to the same family. They are wired with tremendous health benefits to make our immune system stronger. Plus, both root vegetables may help to decrease cancer risk. Ginger can also work as a natural remedy to reduce chronic pain.
The third step is to add fresh lemon and orange juice into cake batters. It is just another way to get the much-needed vitamin C in winter. However, we do not stop there. We also add lemon and orange peels in the batter for an extra twist.
We replace half of the regular sugar with honey. Keep in mind that you can replace hone and sugar in equal amounts if the recipe does not call for more than one cup of sugar. When you exceed one cup, then the honey level must be lower than the actual sugar.
We use olive oil to increase the antioxidant level of the batter. If you really want to use butter instead, then replace the olive oil with 3/4 cup softened butter in the recipe. Note that we also add pecans (crushed). They contain polyphenols that reduce the risk of having cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Pecans basically help to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow. Plus, they also contain zinc, which boosts immunity.
Anti-flu Lemon Cake Recipe
The anti-flu lemon cake is a fluffy sponge that is so easy to make. However, you must pay attention to the part where we whisk the eggs. Mark my words; do not skip separating the eggs. It is critical to give that angel, fluffy texture. Keep in mind that we lock the air inside the batter with this technique.
Anti-flu Lemon Cake – Vitamin C BoostCourse: Dessert, BakingCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
4 medium eggs
3 cups all-purpose wheat flour
3 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup olive oil (if using butter, replace with /4 cup softened butter)
3 tablespoons pecans, crushed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
2 tablespoons orange peel
2 tablespoons lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C)
- Brush the cake tray with butter, sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon wheat flour, and set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into different bowls.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar into egg yolks and whisk well with a hand mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add 4 tablespoons of hot water.
- Whisk at high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the honey, lemon, and orange juice.
- Whisk at high speed for 10 seconds.
- Add the yogurt, milk, and corn starch, continue to blend with a spatula.
- Add the flour and mix for about 1 minute at a low speed.
- Add the lemon and orange peels.
- Add crushed pecans.
- Add turmeric and ginger powder.
- Mix it for half a minute at low speed.
- Add the egg whites and mix gently with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the cake tray.
- Bake at 375 °F (190 °C) for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Adding hot water into egg yolks permits the batter to raise more than regular cake recipes. Note that the water should not be boiling, but it must be hot.
- If you keep the brushed cake tray in the fridge for half an hour before pouring the batter, you will get better results.
- Keep the cake lemon in an air-tight container, preferable in a Sterilite cake server.
What do ginger and turmeric cure?
Both turmeric and ginger have anti-inflammatory characteristics. They have been used widely in Eastern medicine for treating colds, coughs, chronic pain, and nausea. However, turmeric must be consumed moderately. As much of everything is harmful, if you consume too much turmeric, you might have gallbladder issues in the long run.